A new Railway is Started

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Country flag
Looking really exciting. That bridge will look great with a big Harz train on it.
8 x 2 inch timbers, I like it. Nothing lightweight there then :happy:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Country flag
The 8x2's came from my next door neighbor who had been squirreling them away for use in an extension. But they had been hanging around for so long that he was nervous of using them indoors. But for me with Roofing Felt I think that they will be fine. There was some damp rot and dry rot on some of them, but after cleaning that off and storing properly for a year they appear OK. Those area's that had gone completely have been sacrificed for the Log Burner. If weather stays good today Track maybe Laid.
JonD

dunnyrail

25 Oct 2009
Country flag
Yesterday was a Golden Spike Day, yes I finally got the last piece of Track Laid to complete that part of the Railway. There is still much to do, the recent parts are not Electrically Viable as yet. This is due to the fact that Carolstadt was laid using Bonded Joints rather than Track Clamps. Anyhow, I have run out of Hillman Peco Type Clamps so will need a good dry day to get the Bonding done. But it all works for Battery Power so some pics of the Coffee Stirrer and the Ruschbahn Fuel Train were appropriate. The Coffee Stirrer was specifically built with the Ruschbahn in mind and of course a Ruschbahn Train on a predominantly Ruschbahn piece of Railway was the way that I felt things needed to be done.

But on a practical note, the Track except for the Curves and where the Points are is all just loose so will need some securing. The Station in the Abour has not had Point Motors Fitted and as said Electrics need to be attended to. So just need a nice dry day, not today or Friday according to the forecast.

Here are some pics of yesterdays run:-

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

The last Picture is on Board that is under Carolstadt, a little like the Circle Line me thinks.

Finally a Vid of the proceedings, the run is more than I thought. At a sensible speed a circumnavigation of the Circuit takes exactly 8 minutes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNrFCOOVIKQ

Harz 2-10-2t on the Bridge as soon as possible, I promise.
JonD

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Country flag
owi like that bridge! 8)

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
Country flag
So do I..
Almost tempted to see if 'Maybach' (apologies if spelling is wrong) has any sections left..
Problem would be getting them from Dawlish up to us..

dunnyrail

25 Oct 2009
Country flag
PhilP said:
Almost tempted to see if 'Maybach' (apologies if spelling is wrong) has any sections left..
Problem would be getting them from Dawlish up to us..
Phil,
If there are any left, might be worth asking him to see if you can organise a move at a later stage. I realised that I could have done an exchange at Shepton Mallett if I had spoken to Maybach earlier. They are very fine Bridges and located near Plymouth.

There will be a much better vista of the Bridge once all the Building Materials are used and the Garden Tidied up. There will be a Path beneath the Bridge to access the middle of the Loop which will also be tidied and prettied up with much work to make as Low Maintenance as possible. Bridge is Luggable so will be removed for Garden Work. The Track currently is secured with Massoth Clamps, but will be adapted to use the two sets of Hillman Bridge Clamps that I have for it.

Yesterday I started on the Lectrics for the Loop, Bridge and Carolstadt Station. Was doing quite well till a Shower at Lunch Time. After this stopped and Lunch was consumed (Ham Sandwich if you must know) the skies Blued Up so I got going again, only for the Soldering Iron to go Pop. By the time I had gone down my Local DIY Shop in Town to get another it was getting too late to start again as it was Pub o Clock for Curry Club. Oh the Trials of building a Garden Railway.
JonD

dunnyrail

25 Oct 2009
Country flag
Been a while as ever, but I have been a bit tardy in getting this posting done. I finally managed to compete the Electrics on both Carolstadt and Lindenburg on the 2nd March. This meant that I could finally run some Electrically Powered Trains so a Special was run with the Ruschbahn Railcar and a mixed bag of LuLu Bahn Rolling Stock. These are all items that regularly ran over the Ruschbahn so I thought it appropriate to christen Carolstadt with this Train.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

There is a Vid as well:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3ZBHny1SUE

Next up will be completion of the Air Points which has been done, in fact I am now busy planting out the 1st of the 2 Rockeries. The Pathway to use when operating Carolstadt has been started and then some major tidying and organisation of the Garden plants. Plus I need to do a Vid of the Harz 2-10-2 on the Bridge.
JonD

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Country flag
Nice. I particularly like that railcar. :D

dunnyrail

25 Oct 2009
Country flag
Re the Railcar, it was scratch built by Andy Rush of Ruschbahn fame. I have another part built on similar lines using in part a Newquida Coach. This was to have been the first of a fleet of Overhead Electric Railcars. As you can see from the images below, Andy has done a lot of work and it will not take much effort to complete. However it will be a Diesel Railcar now and probably Battery Operated.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Yesterday I finally managed to finish off the Decking that will allow me to safely get to the Track that runs alongside the pond for Track Cleaning and attending to any other Railway Needs in the area. As an aside it also makes a great viewing platform for the Colony of Newts that live in the Pond. I have also part planted out the House Side of the Mountain / Rockery and pretty much also competed the other side of what is to be termed Buckeldrei Hügel.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Wonder what I will get up to today? Plenty to do once the Fog Burns off.
JonD

Reactions: 1 user

Railfan

Registered
17 Nov 2009
Northern California, USA
Country flag
Looking good, Jon!

dunnyrail

25 Oct 2009
Country flag
I have been working still, honest gov.

Well there has been some play as well, I had my Stanley Steam Tram out for some runs on the line recently plus in the last week I have been working on the other Rockery. This time the Celtex, much disliked by Steve has been properly Cemented over on one side to see how that lasts. To now I have had a bit of Postcrete being picked off by the birds, they use it to Sharpen their beaks!

I have also been doing some work on Buildings and Signals. Some of the Signals are Modified Paymobile, some are recovered from the Ruschbahn. All are Air Operated.

First 3 pictures show base of the Goods Shed and the way that I use Ally to keep buildings in place.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Next two show the scenic work done on the other Rockery. This will be Drahtzug Station. Little resemblance to the Real One except for its location on the line and having some hills behind it. I had to fit my Scratch Built Station in somewhere.

image.jpg

image.jpg

The next two show the Playmobile Signal. This is the entrance from the Genrode end to Magdesprung Station. Under normal Operations Trains have permission to run to a Stop Signal. Then they have to wait till it is pulled off. Now this may be by a Driver that is already in the Station or by the Driver of his own Train. Depends on how close or not to time the Trains are.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Next is the Junction Signal. This is recovered from the Ruschbahn and is normally off for the Main Line Straight ahead. It is just an indicator to show how the Junction Point is set. When the point is reversed, the Signals change over. You can see them reversed on the first pic of the Playmobile Signal. There are 4 Roundels to this point and it is fascinating to see them all change when the point is reversed. The Shunt Signal is operated from a small panel near the the Lineside Hut. This is for shunting only. It is envisaged that the bit of track to the right that makes up the continuous run may be used by a Rack Train that will have odd wagons propelled and be attached / Detached by Down Trains.

image.jpg

Finally a couple of Pics of Stanley on a Play Session.

image.jpg

image.jpg

JonD

KandNWLR

Live steam on the indoor K&NWLR
18 Dec 2011
Alsace
www.youtube.com
That Stanley is very fine, and the line is looking excellent, if I may say so. Can´t get my eyes off that railcar, though :p ::) ??? :eek:

dunnyrail

25 Oct 2009
Country flag
Yes Andy made a super job of it. Though I had to. Do some of the work on the Bogies for him to make it sit level. Still not perfect, but it does not now look like the passengers are leaning into the curves!
JonD.

dunnyrail

25 Oct 2009
Country flag
I have been doing some up close and personal detailing on the layout of late. The area just before the Shed has been planted out with more Rocks and Celtex Mountains installed. Listening to what Steve Fun and Trains had said about my source of Celtex. I have use serious Ment render on one side to see how it fares with Life the Universe and Everything that the Weather and Pecking Birds can throw at it. I have done some coloring with my favorite Azalea Stuff. Also a bit of Brush Washing down after painting Black Outdoor Paint has been used as well. The following 2 pics approaching Drahtzug and the Halt itself. Nothing like the real thing which is totally a non existent location in terms of Buildings. But hey I had the Station and other Buildings and needed to use them.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Moving onto the former Carolstadt that came from the Ruschbahn. This fitted in where Silberhütte was meant to be, so attempting to keep to Andy`s Original and my needs it is morphing into something of both. I have kept the Gravel Loader, it still retains it`s obscure Name Board and a Gravel Train even features in my Timetable. It has also had an Old Wooden Platform placed behind the Siding. This has been kicking around on my Garden Railways since around 1987 so has seen plenty of use at differing Locations. All outside and never had any preservative. Gravel Loader Pics here.

image.jpg

Where a Couple of Sidings fitted on Andy`s, they have been retained but one shortened at it has morphed into the Barrel/Timber Works that exists in approximately the same Location at Silberhütte.  Though the size and look is very different. In fact what had been the Pola or Piko kit that Andy used for a Boat Builders has returned to its original use as a Timber Yard. The next 3 pics show the Location. I have used HIPS Black Sheet to make the Concrete Apron in the Yard. Shaving the underneath so that if fits up to the Peco Track. 5mm HIPs resting in Peco Sleepers but not the Chairs does a very good impression of a Concrete Apron. I cut to size then shave of the underneath of where it would  sit on the Rail Chairs. It is also Sanded to get rid of the Sheen, scribed to represent the joins where Concrete Shuttering has been used and Distressed with a craft knife to represent Cracks. A bit of odd I Beam and some parts recovered from the Ruschbahn have made the Crane Gantry. I need one of those Brass Curtain Rail Runners, Chain and a Hook to represent the Lifting Mechanism. Have some somewhere but S and D can I find them.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Finally I have made a start on the other end as well. I originally had 4 sidings here, but one was removed yesterday and a Building that still exists at the real Silberhütte represented. The original is a Brick Built Structure, I have made it as. Concrete one. Well I needed to start using the White HIPS that I have. It is just a Box Glued up with Pipe Adhesive as recommended by the joint that I got it from. I have also used my Mechanical Strengthening at the edges with Household Pins. There is also some Concrete Cancer Represented on this Building. This was achieved by knifing out some of the Plastic and inserting a Household Pin to represent the Rebar that would have been used on the Building to Stress the Concrete. All in all with three area`s of this and many Cracks, I do not think it will be long for this world. The next three pics show the Building in White and then as Sprayed Grey with Loose Rust (I have a Jam Jar Full) thrown on it. The Pins will just have to Rust as they go along, after having cleaned off the Grey Halfords Rattle paint.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

I have also represented another long Concrete Apron to the Right of this Building. This will be where the Fuel Train from the Ruschbahn will be unladed and I need to represent the Pipes etc that will go with this. Any pics of a Small Fuel Unloading Facility would be welcome to this end.

JonD

dunnyrail

25 Oct 2009
Country flag
As it is a grotty day today in darkest wet Cambridgeshire, the work that I wanted to do i. The Shed Fiddle need a Left Hand Point from LGB R1 or R3. All I have in stock is 3 x Right Hand Train line R2`s. So that indoor work has to wait. So just a quick update my variation of Silberhutte.

The first picture shows the effect that I am looking for, the small Bridge is actually a Carrier for some kind of Pipework. This is to be represented by some Copper 10mm Pipe. I will also use Copper Bends to get the curves at the end of the Bridge. It will then follow along the Track to Exit the Scene at the end of the Baseboard by the Signal on what I have made so far. There was also pipework on the Left of the Building, I will use the same size 10mm Copper Pipe. This will be extensively Rusted like the real thing. Bits on the Roof will be made up probably out of HIPS. All will be to a East German Grot effect. The 2  Pictures show what I have achieved so far, the upright Stand for the Bridge is made from Square Wood and Covered with GRS Random Stone Sheet (I think that is what it is anyway). The Bridge is just made up of Plasticard and crudely pinned to both the Building and the Upstand. I want all to be removable for Servicing the fence.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

The main thing to be noted from the Prototype Picture and my representation is the change from a Brick to Concrete Building. I did this as a bit of a Cop Out. But I can live with that. There are/were plenty of grotty Concrete Buildings in the old East.

I had hoped to use a Pola or Piko Goods Shed to represent the Building in front of this Building. But it looks like I will need to Scratch this. Out with the HIPS again.
Jond

dunnyrail

25 Oct 2009
Country flag
I have been doing some more Building Work at  Silberhutte. The Building is from my Picture of the one where the Track passed through on the Prototype shown recently has been my latest project. It is another HIPS special and it is a  woefully poor representation of the real thing. However it kind of looks rightish so it will do for me.

[attachimg=3]

I have also recently been to Glendale Jcn and the missing point for the Fiddle Yard was in Stock Second hand so that work has been done too. Not sure that I can squeeze any more track in now, but at least the siding removed in Silberhutte provided some Peco for the New Fiddle Siding. This new siding houses the Lou Lou Bahn Coaches that were extensively used on the Ruschbahn. My real need to go to Deeping was to collect my Train Line 45 Harz Mallet. This has been funded from much sales of redundant LGB that I have been dumping on Brian. I have to say that his face was a picture when I left with a New Loco, Point and still some money in the kitty without flexing my Credit Card.
JonD
image.jpg

Last edited:

dunnyrail

25 Oct 2009
Country flag
Earlier today I mentioned that I have made changes to my Fiddle Yard. Well here are some pictures of those changes. The siding was originally a Long Siding which takes around 7 or 8 LGB Bogie Coaches ( Not Pullmans). I put in a new R3 Point to make a short addition at the end where the Track Curves. This being the only place that I could utilise for more space. It now fits the 2 Lou Lou Bahn (LLB) Coaches, these are converted Bachman Tram Cars. To get at them I need to do the equivalent of the Bluebell Railway Monday Morning Shunt (about to be retured to Steam now that the B4 is almost ready by the way), then I can get at these two Coaches. Why bother I hear you ask, well they were just kicking around in the House and will be safer here.

image.jpg

image.jpg

The first Picture shows the Siding with the LLB coaches and the others blocking them in. The second shows the Temporary Changes made to the Panel Diagram till I print a new one. The Track Numbers follow to the best of my German Railway knowledge their convention. Not easy to get your head round believe me. Anyone who has tried to understand the wisdom of Willheim (LGB`s Bill Gates who writes the LGB MTS Manuals) will understand what I mean about the complexity of all things Germanic.

JonD

dunnyrail

25 Oct 2009
Country flag
Mr Stainz,
I just guess that we are so used to things being made difficult in UK, that when we see simple it is confusing. But getting ones head around Germanic when they talk a bit back to front and the completely different way of doing Signaling and Track Numbering, well it confuses the heck out of me. Glad you like the Austrian Pics.
JonD

dunnyrail

25 Oct 2009
Country flag
Some pics of my TrainLine 45 Mallet out on the line at Magdesprung today. There are also some vids in the appropriate Forum.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Very pleased with the beast. Have renumbered it to 99 5902 as that is the one that I first travelled on back in the 70`s. Know it is not right and may get round to modifying it to look more like the original at some stage. Next item on the agenda will be some weathering.
JonD

dunnyrail

25 Oct 2009
Country flag
Some of you will have been following my Train Line Thread, however here is another link to the same full trip round my line.

http://youtu.be/8ntL_sW1mi8

JonD