A new Railway is Started

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Country flag
The method you use to glue the ballast is the same one as what I used to advise my customers for indoor, but I did not know it worked outside. I thought the rain would wash away the glue. Does it really hold? I am most curious about your answer. If it really works, that would be great news to me.
Yes it works but you do need to use External Quality PVA (sometimes revered to as waterproof). I find the big plastic containers with I think a gallon (4 or so Litres) in work well. I get these from Builders Merchants.

railaddict

Registered
18 May 2020
Belgium
Country flag
Thanks Jon, I had a quick look on the internet and found it, so it must be available from my local builders merchant. :)

Reactions: 1 user

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Country flag
Just like 1:1 railways your ballast will always need replacing and refixing, no matter what method you use

Harry

Registered
17 Dec 2009
Country flag
Jon,

I'm very impressed by the appearance of the ballast, it's certainly the best I've seen for a long time. What are you using?

Regards, Harry.

dunnyrail

25 Oct 2009
Country flag
Jon,

I'm very impressed by the appearance of the ballast, it's certainly the best I've seen for a long time. What are you using?

Regards, Harry.
It os 2-3mm Granite that I got from a place near Ipswich. I got the 2 bags seen in the pics for around£10. Recommended by another member “located to essex init” I think was where I found out about it. Plenty of chat on this thread about ballast.

Harry

Registered
17 Dec 2009
Country flag
It os 2-3mm Granite that I got from a place near Ipswich. I got the 2 bags seen in the pics for around£10. Recommended by another member “located to essex init” I think was where I found out about it. Plenty of chat on this thread about ballast.
Thanks for the information Jon.

Regards, Harry

mole

Registered
25 Oct 2009
ipswich
Country flag
Thanks for the information Jon.

Regards, Harry
The place might be Band M concrete at Kirton 5 miles from Ipswich thats where I got some 2 weeks ago £5.95 a large bag 25 kilos ? heavy whatever size

dunnyrail

25 Oct 2009
Country flag
The place might be Band M concrete at Kirton 5 miles from Ipswich thats where I got some 2 weeks ago £5.95 a large bag 25 kilos ? heavy whatever size
Yes that is the place, I think they were also mentioned in a other thread that I posted on. Can completely recommend this as a great ballast medium as near to scale for us as you can find.

dunnyrail

25 Oct 2009
Country flag
Yes it works but you do need to use External Quality PVA (sometimes revered to as waterproof). I find the big plastic containers with I think a gallon (4 or so Litres) in work well. I get these from Builders Merchants.
Further to glueing track down, a friend in Somerset uses SBR Bond neat from the plastic. I would be tempted to decant into the same type of containers that I show on my ballasting posts on page 11.

Mike well damped the track with an old kitchen spray of water and a drop of washing up liquid. Applied the SBR and then another good spray with water. Dries solid and clear as you can see here. But care is needed round points, I would give the moving parts a small dab of oil to stop any edhesion by splashed SBR and also go overboard with water spraying in those area. I do this with my PVA method.
7EEB43D7-A8B0-4122-9854-4F797761BC11.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user

dunnyrail

25 Oct 2009
Country flag
A small project that has recently been carried out in Gernrode has been to organise the removable wagon loads. When Gernrode is over capacity of stock I have shelves for the overflow, but these already have a few permanent residents and have become a dumping ground for those removable wagon loads. Here you can see that they take the space that would accommodate 6 or so wagons. 3D923A21-EDBE-4651-A581-F1D0DADB17AC.jpeg
Below you can see Gernrode sidings full to capacity, all it needs is one of those vehicles to be another bogie vehicle or just 1 more wagon and the shelves come into play for more storage. Incidentally in those sidings are 20 4 wheel wagons, 1 bogie wagon and 5 bogie coaches. ABEA863A-0688-47A5-A8D0-AFEC1231D125.jpeg
Thus a small set of shelves have been created in a small dead area that was not big enough to extend the stock shelves due to the door, but just enough space was available for the 4 thin shelves to hold them loads. Thus I now have space for those pesky extra wagons that arrive during an operating session.
1F7AA18C-C240-4D9C-865B-89230697FAE2.jpeg

dunnyrail

25 Oct 2009
Country flag
A couple of small jobs done today. I have been running with a couple of steam trams a sort of service between Harzegerode, Alexisbad, Magdesprung and Silberhütte these last few weeks. I have Lamps on both of the locomotives and to add to the fun these are swopped to the front at each change of train direction. Tail lamps are also added to the rear of the Trains. Trouble is I also use a couple of wagons in the fun and though I had fitted Lamp Brackets to the locs and tram coaches, the wagons were not so fitted. This has been attended to.

These are the lamp iron assemblies made out of tinplate as some of the lamps are magnetic. Simple cut, bend and glue in place. One wagon has a pin to give some mechanical fitting, the other bends round the handrail. All are fitted with additional 806 super glue to help keep them in place. Both these can take both types of Lamps, the locs and coaches are mire resricted to a single type of atttachment.
B963EFF9-0309-4B5A-9ACE-969F43558C2F.jpeg
Below you can see how the differing irons have been fitted to the highly modified LGB Vans.
7D8319E3-2D95-4209-97FA-40DC419EF788.jpeg
Below you can see how the Lamps fit, the Red Coloured Lamp on the van is a Magnetic one. The one with the Red Blob is a conventionally fitted one with a slot for the lamp to fit to the iron. You can also see the front lamp on the Loco, these two lamps came with the Loco which was an impulse buy at GRS. Much modified since then, having Deltang RC, a MLS Sound Card and many more batteries than the original 4 AA’s that powered it when bought. Oh yes it also has a Swift 16 adaptable length chassis with Delrin Chain powering all 4 wheels. The other Steam Tram also has similar modifications.
23D9D711-DFA6-444B-BA43-A9E0817257AB.jpeg
Running past the Water Tower at Magdesprung reminded me that some detail was required, water level indicator, water bag and the operating lever needed to be repaired.

Below you can see the Water Tower prior to mods.. I wrote this up in Mad days, it is just a flower pot with some kind of bird feeder top plonked in it. The stonework is chippings from cleaned up bricks with a wood door and rocket stick surrounds. The turn on/off standard is a moulded white metal one with part of the handle broken off.
83A3B1EE-96E7-42B7-A411-EDB04DDDC128.jpeg
Here you can see the water indicator during spraying, it is a simple bodge up using KS 6mm square tube with the indicator a piece of nickel silver cut to shape, this was soldered on with a small gap from the tube. A couple of bits of brass round also soldered on will be used to glue the indicator to the flower pot. The bag has been constructed from a couple of off cuts of brass tube and heat shrink.
FF12DD42-CBEA-4601-BC8C-F451B3D1EE94.jpeg
Once the undercoat of Halfords etching primer had dried the lot was sprayed Halfords matt white, this then had some Tamiya 10mm masking tape added at 10 mm gaps to allow the lot to be sprayed Halfords matt black. Finally the indicator was painted red.

Below you can see the completed thing with the other Steam Tram in attendance for a well earned drink of puffer train beer.
325A2697-7F63-447F-81D0-0008B94DC358.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users