A new Railway is Started

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Well not quite, the old Dunnybahn in Hemel Hempstead was demolished in full around Spring last year prior to the big move. The Line has featured on these pages as links to You Tube and sundry other pictures. The Move was all about getting that last great House to see out my days but also to get a larger garden for the Railway. The last Garden was circa 30ft Square. This one is roughly 80ft by 20. More to go at then and lots of work to turn it into a low maintenance garden.
proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gscalecentral.net%2Fimages%2F251%2Fe479a97720674be29c7ac009fefb4c2d.jpg&hash=fb2ff008bcf778760b1a462f06540b46

OOPS the above picture specially posted for our Antipiden friends. Did save it after turning around but somehow they always come out on Central as originally taken. Jangs.

The plan is for for a better line and longer run between each Station. Possibly a Station extra. But the concept of a Sekeltalbahn (part of the Harz lines) in the East German days as befits the predominant amount of my Stock is to be continued. But first there are a few things to attend to. An Old wall needed to be demolished, this had a broken down fence attached to it and a new fence needed to be built at the end of the garden.
More to come.
JonD
proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gscalecentral.net%2Fimages%2F251%2F96e4c472c41c44c3a9c57540cebfc95f.jpg&hash=c1fe39c86f5e680b5052c332674696fc

picture flipped by Mods - original kept in place for those on t'other side of world!

P

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Sounds very interesting; look forward to more.

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

25 Oct 2009
So the first job after demolishing the old Fence and wall at the bottom of the garden was to put up a Fence that does not need any Maintenance. There is a School Playing Field behind my property so access to here would probably be a problem. So I decided to go Plastic and ordered a Green Fence made up of Slide in Gravel Type Boards to Plastic posts. All supplied by the same Company. This Pic shows the fence almost completed. Oh by the way all the Bricks recovered have been cleaned up for reuse as low dwarf walls for the railway to stand on/in. The rubbish cut off the bricks and no good ones will all be used in Foundations. The soil recovered will be used to fill in the Rockeries through which the railway will run. Somewhat similar but on a larger scale to seen on my old line.
proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gscalecentral.net%2Fimages%2F251%2Fca21275a5a9042dea2626ac120686513.jpg&hash=4e1232f563e9b6e4c25181738d604417

Fence above now upside down. ARRRRGGGGG.
i managed to recover an additional 2 feet when demolishing the fence. This would be critical for the next stage.

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

25 Oct 2009
So for the time being this is the state of play. I had 2 Sheds when I arrived at the House. 8 x 6 and 10 x 8. Both are to be moved and configured as an L Shape. In addition I needed to repair some of the Shed as it had been in Contact with the ground and many leaves had built up behind it. Also I wanted access all round to maintain both Sheds. Hence the importance of that recovered 2ft of garden. No I did not nick it from the School Playing Field, as there is a chain Link Fence to define the Boundry. My New Fence is just now right on it.

The 10 x 8 Shed is being converted to a 20 x 8 by joining the original 2 sides and making a new one. All will be insulated both Floor and Walls. The complete lot is also being mounted on a single height wall of Breeze Blocks. This will give a bit more space inside for non vertically challenged types unlike myself!

State of work at Close of Play yesterday, now waiting for the cement of the last tranch of Breeze Blocks to dry off completely. Seen covered by Old banana Boxes used to move books and things in the Great Move.
proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gscalecentral.net%2Fimages%2F251%2F20968562ecab44bcb01d98fe0729abfe.jpg&hash=3dd8669ff2785e6ad42dd830f5e6b081

At last a Picture the correct way up! Will have to use only my Camera for the future.
More when I next get on with some work, all is weather related. The cold does not Stop me but Rain and Snow does.
JonD

MRail

MRail

16mm etc - Live steam, battery & trams
dunnyrail said:
So I decided to go Plastic and ordered a Green Fence made up of Slide in Gravel Type Boards to Plastic posts. All supplied by the same Company. This Pic shows the fence almost completed.
Interested in the green fence, so I saved your pic.
Without any manipulation, it saved right way up!

Zerogee

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
20 x 8? Now THAT's what I call a shed! :clap:

Jon.

garrymartin

garrymartin

My Family,Railways, Beer and the Seaside
I thought this thread was going to be about a line in Austrailia:rofl:
Looks like you are off to a good start. Looking back he build was a very exciting time!

P

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
So the line is going to be in the shed? Or will that just be storage and workshop space?

I, too, found the green fence interesting as sooner or later our 78 metres of 2-3 metres high hedge will have to go. Can you provide a link or the maker's name, please?

steve parberry

steve parberry

G Scale Trains
25 Oct 2009
Nottingham
Just be carful about that extra space, it may be that there should be a right of way between your fence and the schools fence.

I have the same issue here between my fence and the railway fence must be kept open to allow neighbours access to the rear of there fence..

Steve

Mousey

Mousey

Registered
1 Nov 2009
North Essex
Thats what I call a shed!

Gizzy

Gizzy

Railways, Aviation, Caravanning....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Look forward to seeing your progress Jon....

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

25 Oct 2009
Thanks for your varying comments. to answer poits raised:-

Many thanks for sorting out the pics. Taken on an iPhone so must get used to the correct orientation so that they are the right way up.

Link to Fence Supplier:-

http://www.claremonthouseandhome.co.uk/category/fence pvc panel < Link To http://www.claremonthouse...ry/fence%20pvc%20panel

Not cheep but turned out to be best of the few that I found. They were also very helpfull confirming that what I had planned in terms of requirements were ok.

My fence at the bottom has a gap behind it to access Shed Maintenance, as the new Plastic one has all removable Gravel Boards any access required by neighbours should be no problem. A couple of skrews to take out and fence lifts out. You can just make out the Grey post for the School Chain Link Fence in the pic, my fence just about touches that post. I needed more Garden!

Shed will have a Station within but Railway will be predominantly in the Garden. No expensve stuff will be in the Shed, I have a second Metal Shed by the house where Coaches will be kept. Locomotives will all live indoors as is my norm for all Garden Railways that I have built.
JonD

annieshalt

annieshalt

garden railways
24 Oct 2009
CLEVELAND
looking foreward to your thread john, and the finnished project. :clap::clap:

B

bazzer42

oo 80's, WW1, Rupert Bear, beer
1 Nov 2009
Royal Forest of Dean
Jon,
Thanks very much for sparing the time to look at Lady Anne. You were very kind to spare the time when you had a project like this on your hands. Would give my right arm for a shed that size!

stockers

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
A true railwaymans shed - brilliant.

Railfan

Railfan

Registered
17 Nov 2009
Northern California, USA
This is a very exciting project, Jon. You seem to be making great progress in a short period of time. It would take me much longer just to plan what I wanted to do, and even more time to actually get started. And, as to finishing...! :D

Please keep posting updates.

mike

mike

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.lazygrangebay.co.uk
looking good alread jon, good luck with the work, it will be worth it in the end,
:clap:

JRinTawa

JRinTawa

Member of the Wellington Garden Railway Group
25 Oct 2009
Tawa
www.gscalecentral.net
Funny thing, only one picture was the right way up down here :happy:
Sounds like a promising project,

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

25 Oct 2009
As I keep mentioning my old line I though that I would post some pictures that I took of the Dismantling of that line. They can be found here:-
http://www.gscalecentral.net/tm?high=&m=260639&mpage=1#260639 < Link To http://www.forum.gscalece...639&mpage=1#260639
A good bit of work was done yesterday. Below you can see the result of Mr Concrete Mixers whirring away. The path still needs more Slabbing, but what was done used up the Slabs that I bought. To finish up on the left requires some to be lifted and I need that bit of path for the moment. The Concrete Foundation will be in the Smaller part of the Shed. This work was all required so that I can get the Blocks in Place for the smaller part of the Shed.
proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gscalecentral.net%2Fimages%2F251%2F4c07975872334f6cb84acb24b6581fe7.jpg&hash=906c5a0135fdd4077f21a862edec1218

The 2 Breeze Blocks that you can see are the approximate line of the Shed. It will end on the slabs by the Wheelbarrow around half way over.
JonD