A new hut for a new crossing

peterbunce

1880's Colorado Narrow gauge on 45mm track
29 Oct 2009
east of manchester
Best answers
<font face="Times New Roman">Hi,
</font><p><font face="Times New Roman" size="3">I am extending (weather & bad back (getting better now) permitting) the railroad. This will include a custom built 90 degree crossing (I use Peco code 250 rail) so naturally a custom built hut for the keeper was needed. </font></p><p><font face="Times New Roman" size="3">Made from Korrofulute and plasticard, with underlayment (a new word for cheap roofing felt!) for the shingles it will be located on a small piece of roofing tile, which was kept after some extensions a while ago.</font></p><p><font face="Times New Roman" size="3">The windows were made first from my own jigs, from 2 layers of .020 strips, with .030 sides and .040 front frames, when complete the holes for them in the walls can be cut out. The door was built up 'in situ'</font></p><p><font face="Times New Roman" size="3">The usual drinking straw is used for the very necessary(in Colorado where the line is supposedly set) stove pipe. I double these adding another straw internally, cut it lengthwise to get it inside with a thin layer of glue and feed it inside, on both portions. Add a fixing wire to keep it still, and add paper bands for the fixing bands. The top is also a section of another straw glued over a piece of scrap that fills the top of the pipe, also close off the inner end of the horizontal section to deny bugs a home there!.</font></p><p><font face="Times New Roman"><font size="3">Paint to suit - and varnish it for protection with Johnson&rsquo;s Klear, the roof will have a layer of Thompsons' Water Seal . </font><font size="3"> </font></font></p><p><font face="Times New Roman"><font size="3">Here are some photos of the little building</font>
</font></p>

Bram

Playing trains, Ballroom Dancing, Good Food & Wine
24 Oct 2009
Knowle
Best answers
Country flag
<font size="2" face="arial,helvetica,sans-serif">I like it, just one question - what is</font> <font size="2" face="arial,helvetica,sans-serif">Korrofulute is it like foam core board</font>

Wobbleboxer

Registered
27 Oct 2009
Northants, UK
Best answers
Country flag
I'm more interested in the crossing. Started building one myself earier in the year from Peco leftovers. About 95% complete, just need to finish off some cosmetics but haven't got round to. Also need to find somewhere to lay it, and buy the track to connect to it...

MR SPOCK

railways politics Human rights loud music
25 Oct 2009
Cornwall uk
cornwallrailroad.webs.com
Best answers
Hi Peter, hope your back is better, the crossing hut looks brilliant, the paintwork is very nice is that a standard mix of enamel?

I have a disc of buildings to send to you as well may be some of some use .

pete

peterbunce

29 Oct 2009
east of manchester
Best answers
<p><font size="3">HiPete,</font></p><p><font size="3">Welcome to G Scale Central, I hope that you will find many useful things from us!</font></p><p><font size="3">The green in the standard colour from Humbrol, ref number 3 called Brunswick Green, which it isn't! It is however a dark slightly blueish green very like British Racing Green, which weathers to a more blue green over time. </font></p><p><font size="3">Use Humrol 105 as an undercoat for it to add some depth and reducing the glare of white plastic, after a light sanding to make a 'tooth' for the paint to grab.</font><font size="3"> </font></p><p><font size="3">Finish off with Johnson's Klear - from the supermarket in the kitchen section - Morrisons sell it - it is an acrylic varnish and will dry to a semi matt sheen in 20 minutes, and is MUCH cheaper than the Humbrol size tinlets.</font></p><p><font size="3" /></p><p> </p>

peterbunce

29 Oct 2009
east of manchester
Best answers
<p><font size="3">Hi Bram,</font><font size="3"> </font></p><p><font size="3">No, Korroflute is best described as corrugated cardboard and is the stuff the estate agents use for their signs. Go and badger your local one for the address of his signwriter, who will be a silk screener. Go an see him re the price of his 8' x 4' sheets, (ask him to halve them to 4 x 4). You want new white sheets which are in my case 5mm thick. </font></p><p><font size="3">I rebate the sides into the ends to make a greater glue are (glue is Evo-stik) and eventually cap the corner - one advantage of American buildings, but the same idea is used here in the UK</font></p><p> </p><p><font size="3">PVC solid foam - mine is made by Vekaplan SF which is a German company. Look the name up in Google for its properties. Again I use 5mm but there are other thicknesses as well - this is used for exhibition signs and such like, totally impervious to weather (with paint on it) same glue as above, and marvellous stuff! </font></p><p><font size="3">Try 'Plastics suppliers', again 8 x 4 sheets at about &pound;25 pounds or so for a sheet.</font></p><p> </p><p><font size="3">You can scribe it with a blade type scriber or a small screwdriver, or an Olfa Cutter. with the latter push it otherwise it rips off chunks. Cut it with a Stanley knife, fretsaw/bandsaw,.mini (proxxon) circular saw.</font></p><p><font size="3" /></p><p><font size="3">Hope the above helps</font></p><font size="3"><font size="3"><font size="3"><font size="3"><font size="3" /></font></font><font size="3"><font size="3"><font size="3"><p><font size="3" /></p></font><p> </p></font></font></font></font>

owlpool

Welsh NG in the mountains. live steam
25 Oct 2009
Brecon Beacons, South Wales
Best answers
Country flag
very neat

like the stove flue

Richie

Rio Grande Railroad , Mountain biking , Gardening
24 Oct 2009
Albrighton West Midlands
Best answers
Very nice Peter :applause: like the idea of the drinking straw :clap:

peterbunce

29 Oct 2009
east of manchester
Best answers
<p><font size="3">Hi All,</font></p><p><font size="3">Thank you for the comments - regarding drinking straws - see if you can get the black ones, check with cafes - buy a drink and ask for a few straws:) I think Costa Coffee used to have black straws. If not they can be painted: it will just save time and effort in the re-painting later on.</font></p><p><font size="3">I use the scale 4 inch, ( a bit larger in 1/22.5 scale ) for houses sheds etc., and the larger versions for commercial buildings. All are a bit weak - expectedly so, as they are meant to be single use and throw away. </font></p><p><font size="3">To alleviate that add another one inside the one that you have used, cut one into sections the bendy bit can be discarded, slit the pieces vertically, and allow the edges to ride over each other then add a sliver of (Evo-stik) glue along it and slide the bits in each side of the bendy bit - that adds quite a lot of extra strength, (and in my garden makes the stove pipes better able to deal with fast moving (along the tracks) squirrels).</font></p><p><font size="3">I add a piece of 1/2mm wire as a stay, a plate where the pipe goes through the wall, and a top. The top can be a small piece of another straw, glued on roughly horizontally: the cone shaped top of some kids drink bottles, (fill the hole with a piece of plastic cocktail stick, and a bit of filler to produce a smooth edge), the pull out bit of some drinks ( that is a very flattened cone shape) - the last one will also need 3 or 4 stays from the bottom edge to the pipe as it is quite large, and will look much better with the fitted. All are virtually scrap (or useful junk!) and with a bit 'lateral' thinking, very useful, and time saving!</font></p><p><font size="3">They are held in the top of the pipe with a plastic filler tube, glued onto the cocktail stick mentioned above - try some kids plastic lolly tubes, which will then need a small wrapper added, I have a selection of sizes of all sorts of bits of tubes in my infamous 'bits box' that come in useful here. </font> </p><p><font size="3">I make a lot of stove pipes, the largest of which are on my boiler shop, and those are from (approx 1") cold water pipe, these needed 3 stiffening stays each. I always fit a cap top & bottom to keep bugs and weather out, and use plenty of glue when fitting them through the roof of your building: the big ones can also have an internal brace fitted as well to keep them protected from knocks and such like.</font> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p><font size="3"> </font></p>

Bram

Playing trains, Ballroom Dancing, Good Food & Wine
24 Oct 2009
Knowle
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Peter for the details and info