16mm plans

Benjamin Maggi

Model Railroading, Collecting/Playing Guitars, Boa
13 Nov 2009
New York State, USA
Best answers
I have scratchbuilt some generic looking British-style rolling stock based on looking at photos of standard gauge cars and then shrinking them to match with LGB stock.
http://rides.webshots.com/album/574287767zNRAJv

However, I want to start building some accurate 16mm scale, 45mm gauge, trains. Living in the States, I don't want to purchase lots of back issues of isolated magazines and such to get plans. Are there any websites that have plans for 16mm freight wagons and coaches?

I would love to find a copy of Introduction to Modeling the Isle of Mann Railway but I have heard it is very rare.

Thanks!

Benjamin go to the 16mmngm yahoo group owned by the 16mm Association and join the web group. Not sure but I don't think you need to join the Association to go on the group.

There are lots of pdf files of coaches to 16mm. They are in colour. They are intended to be printed onto card and made into coaches but they would be fine to use as drawings. Talyllyn, GVT and Festiniog are there.

Here is a jpeg of one of them so you can see what it is like

Oh and they are mostly for 2 foot gauge - hence the 16mm bit, so 45mm isn't really going to let you model true scale stuff. You would probably need to be in 15mm and on 3 ft gauge for accurate scale (my railway is that although I do use a rubber rule sometimes).

And I should have said that although they are free to download, they are copyright and that is why I have only posted a reduced size jpeg on here. I hope the owner would be OK with that.

C&S

Registered
3 Nov 2009
Best answers
Sounds like you definitely need to source some IOM or Irish 3ft plans. Can you scale up from smaller plans? If so please feel free to pm me - I may be able to help in a limited way.

GHWood

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Isle Of Man
sites.google.com
Best answers
Benjamin, Hi sorry I lost you from the other forum, here are a few links to follow, both the irish three Foot, and the one to 20.3 have a good selection of plans, you have to join up first though, its free!
http://trainweb.org/i3/ should get you all the links you need

Benjamin Maggi

Model Railroading, Collecting/Playing Guitars, Boa
13 Nov 2009
New York State, USA
Best answers
Thanks guys. I plan to use the 45mm gauge, so I understand that some compromises will be made if I model 2' gauge stuff. I am sure that there are enough 3' gauge prototypes around, though, to build some nice trains. I will check out everything you guys have posted. It should be a good Saturday indeed!