1/24 scale South African Railway "Cape Gauge 1"

Rhinochugger

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
As the Man said:

Keeping body-mount couplers together, on those, is no mean-feat!
Not too bad, as the overhang from the bogie pivot isn't that great. Also body mount to body mount can take reasonably sharp curves; it's body mount to bogie mount where the troubles start.

Paulus

Paulus

Registered
13 Jan 2012
Beautiful and very impressive railway models!
Unfortunately I get a notification that the video's are unavailable for me. I think it is because I don't have Facebook?
But the the pictures rock! ;-)

Riekus

Riekus

Registered
7 May 2019
South Africa
825mm over the headstocks and 875mm over the couplers. They weigh 4kg each now with the die-cast bogies.

• Wow
Reactions: Paul M
Riekus

Riekus

Registered
7 May 2019
South Africa
Yes dudes!!!!

We have a quintessential freight wagon here in South Africa. I mean it hauled anything from grain to bundles of roundbar. The venerable DZ wagon. One of our members decided to build them. What is interesting is that he decided not to print them but rather mill them out of 6mm perspex. The result is spectacular.

Bogies and couplers, paint and decals.....ready to go

Attachments

Riekus

Riekus

Registered
7 May 2019
South Africa
I have also weathered and re-bogied 3 Transkaroo coaches so far. The last one being the dining car. Next up will be my favourite wagon which is the composite van. Love the look of that thing.

Attachments

tac foley

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
If you count the rail ties - it's about 36 inches in old money. Also about 8 inches overall height.

Neil Robinson

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
The DZ's are evolving nicely. Some chassis candy.
Out of curiosity are those DZ wagons variants of those 2ft gauge examples imported from South Africa by the Welsh Highland railway over here?
Details from about one third of the way through this web page. WHR(C) Wagons

Riekus

Riekus

Registered
7 May 2019
South Africa
Out of curiosity are those DZ wagons variants of those 2ft gauge examples imported from South Africa by the Welsh Highland railway over here?
Details from about one third of the way through this web page. WHR(C) Wagons
The 3ft6" DZ7 was a way bigger wagon of course. As a matter of interest, the NG versions were DZ2 and DZ10's To compare sizes I am including a couple of drawings so you can judge the sizes. First two being 2ft gauge and the last one 3ft6

Attachments

Reactions: tac foley
Riekus

Riekus

Registered
7 May 2019
South Africa
Compliments of the season to you all.

I am currently taking a break and contemplating new stuff hehehehe.

I did decide though, here around Christmas, that I need a track tester. You know one of those locos that makes things really difficult for you whenever it can.

I am a fan of the the old GE U18C 1 we had here. It was called the class32 and was to my eye a very good looking loco. And because it had the pony trucks either side of the CoCo...pivot points would move inwards enough to make a lot of swing at the bulkheads.

But....where do you start? I have never built something like a loco.

Got some drawings and decided to have a go. I have built buildings out of foamboard before. Main reason being that i have very little tools here. And the foam i can work with my hands. Little sanding block, Dremel and a carpet knife.....off you go.

I cut some shapes to get the GE rounded top. Decided to clad it. Long story.

Look, it is going to be my tester....but even so, I want it to at least look half decent. Cut a cab for it out of perspex. I have done a mockup chassis which i plan to do out of 6mm mild steel for a bit of weight.

Biggest job is going to be completely homemade sideframes. Currently its standing on USAT blocks and SD70 frames.

Will do those last. I am one third in with the body.

Attachments

P

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Very impressive, and it's massive!

Rhinochugger

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
That's a seriously big loco - just had a google for 1:1 images :whew::whew:

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Compliments of the season to you all.

I am currently taking a break and contemplating new stuff hehehehe.

I did decide though, here around Christmas, that I need a track tester. You know one of those locos that makes things really difficult for you whenever it can.

I am a fan of the the old GE U18C 1 we had here. It was called the class32 and was to my eye a very good looking loco. And because it had the pony trucks either side of the CoCo...pivot points would move inwards enough to make a lot of swing at the bulkheads.

But....where do you start? I have never built something like a loco.

Got some drawings and decided to have a go. I have built buildings out of foamboard before. Main reason being that i have very little tools here. And the foam i can work with my hands. Little sanding block, Dremel and a carpet knife.....off you go.

I cut some shapes to get the GE rounded top. Decided to clad it. Long story.

Look, it is going to be my tester....but even so, I want it to at least look half decent. Cut a cab for it out of perspex. I have done a mockup chassis which i plan to do out of 6mm mild steel for a bit of weight.

Biggest job is going to be completely homemade sideframes. Currently its standing on USAT blocks and SD70 frames.

Will do those last. I am one third in with the body.
Have a look at both of my Battery Railcar Bash threads where I made up the Sideframes from scratch. Much of it was metalwork and some turning, but Plastic Card and Plastic rod would have worked just as well.

Riekus

Riekus

Registered
7 May 2019
South Africa
Will have a look.

Here is my dilemma. If i make a solid sideframe, i would have to make the pony axle swivel from the middle of the of the two sideframes. Like in real life. But i checked, with a dummy axlebox on there, the swivel is severely compromised. It just takes a R5 turnout. And even over that the axlebox rides against the frame.

But if i attach a whole new section to the swivel end of the USAT motorblock, it tracks beautifully but that would mean a small gap in the sideframe and them moving seperately, like in the mock up pic above here.

Decisions decisions.

PhilP

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
Could you 'fudge' the pivot-point position, as a compromise?

Either further forward, or back, in relation to the centre of the bogie, or even move the bogies a fraction, out, towards the end of the chassis?

I know this would not be prototypical, but you might be able to live with it, as a compromise?

PhilP.

Rhinochugger

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Will have a look.

Here is my dilemma. If i make a solid sideframe, i would have to make the pony axle swivel from the middle of the of the two sideframes. Like in real life. But i checked, with a dummy axlebox on there, the swivel is severely compromised. It just takes a R5 turnout. And even over that the axlebox rides against the frame.

But if i attach a whole new section to the swivel end of the USAT motorblock, it tracks beautifully but that would mean a small gap in the sideframe and them moving seperately, like in the mock up pic above here.

Decisions decisions.
What about having the USAT block the other way around, then having a pivoting axle at both ends? Would that make the beast more flexible around the curves?

The other thing that can be varied is the pivot point of the whole assembled bogie, sometimes that can help a bit, to prevent such extreme swing at the ends of the loco :mm::mm: